In-House Print Operations Transition to Efficient, New Processes | Healthcare
New thinking for a client with over 150 years of knowledge and experience
A long-time RRD Healthcare Solutions client, this managed care organization serves millions of members across more than 25 countries. The organization has more than two centuries of experience in the business.
Despite this rich experience, it sought a new and different way to run its in-house print and communications services requirements more efficiently.
Having served the client for nearly 15 years, RRD Healthcare Solutions had unique insights during a complex transition that required:
- Transitioning in-house print and warehousing responsibilities to several strategically located RRD Healthcare Solutions facilities
- Absorbing key staff in purchasing, customer service, inventory, and program management
- Trucking existing inventory to RRD Healthcare Solutions facilities
- Coordinating with one client facility required to take advantage of an existing building lease and on-site equipment
As it turned out, the client had numerous jobs requiring specialized management to ensure CMS compliance and overall project success.
Working closely with the client, RRD created two separate sets of business rules (eventually adopted as workflow processes) for print program pricing and execution:
- Transactional, print-one-time jobs that could be put through the bid/buy process
- Complex ongoing programs work involving PHI, Scope of Work, and data feeds
RRD Healthcare Solutions combined three important factors to handle both types of projects seamlessly, Those three factors were:
Scale and scope: RRD Healthcare Solutions leveraged its vast network to process client work in more than 10 strategically located facilities nationwide.
Technology: ConnectOne Storefront℠, RRD’s proprietary end-to-end print management solution, offered new efficiencies. Centralized ordering, fulfillment, content customization, and direct mail campaign management were combined into one interface. The ConnectOne Storefront solution provides a web-based toolset that integrates directly with RRD’s distribution network, allowing the client to:
- Track inventory and print items on-demand
- Activate customized printing from anywhere in the world
- Manage a variety of print output options
- Access vital information for print procurement decisions
Additionally, RRD’s kitting technology allowed the client to build and fulfill pre-enrollment kits and pick and pack materials. This capability helped the company meet numerous compliance guidelines and corporate rules.
Industry expertise: Monitoring over 40 client data feeds each day resulted in a massive amount of program information. With deep managed care experience, RRD knew what to do with that information. Six customer service representatives (CSRs), a program manager, and an account manager were dedicated to supporting all commercial print work and fulfillment. RRD also assigned three CSRs to support inventory management, reporting, and customer inquiries. All warehouses and print locations were also delegated to CSRs.
Today, their combined experience and knowledge base gives the client important leadership on brand and HIPAA guidelines, company ordering requirements, and regulatory compliance.
Combining current best practices, technological superiority, and deep intellectual capital enhanced the client’s entire enterprise through streamlined print supply chain processes. Anchored by a centralized print management infrastructure, the client experienced:
- Reduced print costs through consolidating, standardizing, and converting to print-and fulfillment-on-demand
- Improved operational efficiencies
- Greatly decreased print obsolescence
- Comprehensive understanding of total print spend
The work didn’t stop there. As part of their commitment to minority, women and veteran-owned businesses, the client leveraged RRD’s “bid and buy” program. As a result, they increased their diversity spend from 2% to 30%.